This is to notify you that the Acumen Accelerator for Ventures Serving Displaced People 2022 Applications are ongoing. You will find all the necessary details below on how to apply, eligibility, requirements, deadline, award value, and more.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the 2022 Acumen Accelerator for Ventures Serving Displaced People. Interested applicants ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Refugee owned, refugee-led, or refugee-supporting social enterprises can help to unlock the potential of forcibly displaced communities with business models that promote self-reliance: the social and economic ability of forcibly-displaced people and their host communities to meet their essential needs without external aid.
To assist social entrepreneurs who work in or seek to expand into this space, this accelerator will equip leaders with the moral leadership lessons, business skills, and learnings from our portfolio companies to confidently scale their enterprises and build scalable, inclusive, and sustainable solutions.
Over 10 weeks, two members of your leadership team will learn the essentials for building a scalable business model that achieves both profitability and impact. Working virtually alongside a close-knit cohort of entrepreneurial peers, you’ll examine how your business model currently serves forcibly displaced people and their host communities and test strategies to further access the FDP market. You’ll learn how to finance your business as it scales, practice pitching, and receive feedback and tips from Acumen’s network.
As a participant, you’ll also have access to industry and impact-specific case studies, video tutorials and practical readings, and receive invaluable one-on-one support and guidance from our team. Each week, you’ll complete assignments designed to help you think critically about your business model and introduce best practices to reach and serve forcibly displaced populations, and then join weekly interactive Learning Labs alongside your cohort members to give and receive feedback and learn together.
Throughout the journey, you’ll dive into Acumen’s Moral Leadership practices, like Listening to Voices Unheard and Partnering with Humility and Audacity. These skills are vital for any leader looking to reimagine what society and the workforce can look like and drive actionable change.
Learn how to:
- Refine and develop a profitable and scalable business model
- Identify key opportunities for growth while supporting either displaced or hosting communities through market, workforce, and value-chain entry points
- Develop the hard-edged leadership skills necessary for building better, inclusive, and sustainable business solutions
- Sharpen your presentation skills and practice pitching to an audience of investors and entrepreneurs — with a chance to receive a share of US $75,000 of grant funding
- Build a professional network and community of social entrepreneurs in East Africa who are committed to tackling displacement and inequality
Open to entrepreneurs who:
- Run a for-profit social enterprise based in Kenya, Uganda, or Ethiopia;
- Are advancing self-reliance in and between forcibly displaced populations and their hosting communities in at least one of the following ways:
- Serving communities vulnerable to displacement, forcibly displaced populations and/or hosting communities as customers
- Providing decent work and employment to communities vulnerable to displacement, forcibly displaced populations, or hosting communities
- Sourcing from communities who are affected by displacement, communities vulnerable to displacement, or hosting them
- Have a demonstrated track record of at least 1-3 years, some market traction, and are preparing to scale;
- Favorable consideration will be given to teams promoting climate resilient solutions.
Application for Acumen Accelerator for Ventures Serving Displaced People
What follows is how to apply for the Acumen Accelerator for Ventures Serving Displaced People 2022 Application:
Your answers to the questions on the application form should help Acumen learn about your work and suitability for the program – they use the information you provide to decide who to interview for the program, so take your time. On average, the form takes 1 hour to complete.
Deadline – Last day to Apply
Acumen Accelerator for Ventures Serving Displaced People Application Deadline: The closing date for this opportunity is on April 12, 2022 –
Ends in: 22 days