This is to notify you that the Call for Pitches: AWiM Africa Environment Reporting Program 2022 Applications are ongoing. You will find all the necessary details below on how to apply, eligibility, requirements, deadline, award value, and more.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the 2022 Call for Pitches: AWiM Africa Environment Reporting Program. Interested applicants ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
AWiM is calling for pitches that will call attention to the gendered aspect of environmental issues in Africa.
They are particularly interested in in-depth stories that explore environmental solutions with a focus on any of the 12 elements of the African Green Stimulus Program. Journalists could also highlight the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on ecosystems, biodiversity, conservation, waste management and other issues related to the broader ecological challenges in Africa which affect women.
Pitches that focus on stories that have not been widely covered are preferred. So be on the lookout for issues that provide unique gendered angles to environmental challenges. Topics that have widely been covered are less likely to be selected.
- Journalists commissioned to produce stories will have access to training by AWiM.
- Commission fee is USD $100 per story.
- Applicants must be women journalists based in Africa. Applicants can be from any country in Africa. For the purposes of this reporting grant opportunity, they will only be accepting applications in English.
- Applicants must either have a working understanding of English or be able to translate their work.
- Pitches are open to women journalists working in any medium (e.g. online, print, television, radio etc.) and other media practitioners with a history of covering environmental beat. Pitches from freelance reporters and staff from all types of media organisations – international, national, local and community-based are encouraged. Where you are staff of a media organisation, indicate in your pitch if your organisation would like to co-publish your story.
The Story Format
They expect to award 60 story grants in total for the duration of the project. While out on the field, ensure that women’s voices are well captured, and observe all safety measures where requested, access to AWiM’s safety for journalist training can be provided.
Each story must be accompanied with quality pictures, be verified, fact-check and go through the usual journalistic scrutiny
Where your story is republished in your affiliated media, this must be with your byline and indicate at the end that it is produced as part of the AWiM/UNEP Africa environmental journalism program).
Application for Call for Pitches: AWiM Africa Environment Reporting Program
What follows is how to apply for the Call for Pitches: AWiM Africa Environment Reporting Program 2022 Application:
All pitches must be no more than 250 words. It should highlight the key issue you want to focus on, why it is relevant to the program, the extent to which it is under reported, and what the gender angle is. Also indicate why you are the right person to report it and the access you already have.
Remember to read the editorial policy and submissions guideline before sending your pitch.
All pitches for this grant should be sent to [email protected]
Deadline – Last day to Apply
Call for Pitches: AWiM Africa Environment Reporting Program Application Deadline: The closing date for this opportunity is on Ongoing