In this detailed article, we will show you how to use Medabon tablet, a pregnancy termination pill for pregnancies not later than 63 days.
What Is Medabon?
Medabon has almost become a household name. The medication medabon, which comes in pills, is a combination of mifepristone and misoprostol. It is a recommended regimen for the medical termination of pregnancy no later than 63 days after the first day of your last menstrual period.
Misoprostol is a synthetic prostaglandin medication used to prevent and treat stomach and duodenal ulcers, induce labour, cause an abortion, and treat postpartum bleeding due to poor contraction of the uterus.
Associated with pregnancy and labour, misoprostol induces uterine contraction to help expel the pregnancy. Misoprostol is taken by mouth when used to treat gastric ulcers. Misoprostol can be administered in multiple ways, but has been traditionally inserted vaginally when used to manage missed abortions.
Mifepristone is an anti-hormone that acts by blocking the effects of progesterone, a hormone that is needed for pregnancy to continue. Progesterone induces uterine lining to thicken for possible implantation. It also plays a role in the growth and enlargement of breasts.
Therefore, the two drugs can cause termination of pregnancy and must be used one after the other to give the best possible chance for the treatment to work.
What Medabon Contains
Medabon contains 1 tablet of mifepristone and 4 vaginal tablets of misoprostol, supplied in an aluminium blister. Each blister is packed in an aluminium pouch along with a silica gel desiccant sachet.
Each tablet of mifepristone contains 200mg mifepristone. Each vaginal tablet of misoprostol contains 0.2mg misoprostol.
How To Use Medabon Tablet
- If your pregnancy occurs with an intrauterine device or coil in place, this must be removed before you take Medabon.
- It is recommended that you not travel too far away from the prescribing clinic. In case of emergency, the health centre shouldn’t be far away.
- Take one tablet of mifepristone 200 mg to swallow with some water.
- If you vomit shortly after taking mifepristone, consult your doctor.
- If you experience fainting, severe abdominal pain, fast heartbeat, kindly consult your doctor.
- 36 to 48 hours after taking mifepristone, the four misoprostol vaginal tablets are inserted into the vagina
- Please make sure that you empty your bladder and clean your hands thoroughly before inserting the misoprostol vaginal tablets. Push the four vaginal tablets one at a time up into the vagina as far as you can use your finger.
- After administration of the misoprostol vaginal tablets, remain lying down for 30 minutes. You can stay for 3 hours until you are comfortable.
- The pregnancy may be expelled within a few hours or during the next few days after misoprostol treatment.
- A follow-up to confirm that you are no longer pregnant is required 14 to 21 days after taking the mifepristone tablet.
- After two weeks, a special pregnancy test may be needed to confirm successful abortion. A scan may also be required for confirmation.
Warnings And Precautions.
- Before taking Medabon, your blood should be tested for Rhesus factor. If you are Rhesus negative, seek medical help from a doctor.
- Medabon should not be used with medications containing immunosuppressants, corticosteroids, erythromycin, or rifampicin.
Do not use Medabon
- If you have severe asthma which cannot be adequately treated with medication
- If you have hereditary porphyria
- If you suffer from chronic adrenal failure
- If your pregnancy has not been confirmed by gynaecological examination or ultrasound scan
- If you have an extrauterine pregnancy
- If the first day of your last period was more than 63 days ago
Failure of pregnancy termination after taking Medabon has been associated with an increased risk of head and limb malformations and facial paralysis. Victims are implored to seek special medical care if they decide to continue with the pregnancy.
The medication may pass through breast milk to your baby. Lactating mothers are to stop breastfeeding once they begin treatment with Medabon.
This article highlighted all you need to know about how to use Medabon tablet.
You are the reason we write content like this. You can support our work by sharing this article with your friends on social media.
Kindly subscribe to the push notifications to avoid missing important updates like this.
Have thoughts to share about this page? Let us hear from you in the comment section.