UG Vacancy Position for Senior Level Administrative
The University of Ghana hereby invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Dean of Student Affairs, to take effect from 1st August, 2022.
POSITION: Dean of Student Affairs
REPORTING TO: Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic and Student Affairs)
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
The successful applicant must:
a. Be at least at the rank of Senior Lecturer in an academic/research institution.
b. Be capable of providing managerial and administrative leadership to the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs and its affiliated units.
c. Have the vision and drive to oversee the growth, welfare and development of student affairs in the University of Ghana.
d. Have the capacity to work with student leaders to maintain a harmonious student front and promote a cordial working relationship between the student body and management of the University.
e. Have experience of working effectively with young people and a good understanding of the factors that affect the lives of young people.
f. Have very good interpersonal skills, and the ability to relate effectively with young people.
g. Have effective dispute prevention and management skills.
1. The Dean of Student Affairs shall be responsible, under the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic and Student Affairs) for:
- Resolution of conflict between students and halls and hostels of residence as well as conflicts involving students outside of halls and hostels;
- Making representation to the University about ways of enhancing the quality of students’ life;
- Ensuring the maintenance of cordial relations among the various student groups and the student body as a whole, to ensure that they obtain maximum benefit from their University experience;
- Ensuring the orderly organisation of students’ activities within the University;
- Providing leadership to all bodies and activities that promote the well-being of students of the University including the Students’ Representative Council (SRC), the Legon branch of Graduate Students Association of Ghana (GRASAG), and the Careers and Counselling Centre;
- Overseeing the management of dues and other levies collected by the Students’ Representative Council (SRC) and the Legon branch of Graduate Students Association of Ghana (GRASAG) from students or on behalf of students;
- Overseeing the formation of student associations;
- Working with student groups and the Sports Directorate in developing extra-curricular programmes and activities of the University;
- Coordinating with the groups to encourage the participation of students in the activities that promote personal growth and development of students;
- Encouraging the development of a student culture that encourages exercise of leadership, respect for diversity and the traditions of the University, and responsibility for personal actions;
- Ensuring that any disciplinary actions imposed on any student(s) by the recognised authority of the University are complied with; and
- Giving permission to students for student activities within or outside the University.
The successful applicant shall hold office for a three-year period on terms and conditions determined by the University Council and is eligible for re-appointment for a further term of up to three years.
Method of Application
An applicant is required to submit the complete application pack to the Registrar, University of Ghana, P. O. Box LG 25, Legon, Accra, Ghana (Hardcopy) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Soft Copy).
The application pack should contain the following:
- Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded from the University’s website at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and copies of relevant academic and/or professional certificates.
- A statement of about 2,500 words (not more than five pages) indicating how one intends to use the period in office to address issues related to student affairs that will ensure that the University achieves its mission and vision. The UG strategic plan can be downloaded at: http://www.ug.edu.gh/pad/publication/ug-strategic-plan
Further information about the University of Ghana may be found on the university website at www.ug.edu.gh
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than the close of day on Friday, 11th March, 2022.
11th February, 2022