The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to more efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, Better environment and Better life, leaving no one behind.
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) oversees 47 Sub-Saharan countries guided by Regional Initiatives that serve as a mechanism to ensure effective delivery and to demonstrate impact of FAO’s work on the key priorities of the region. In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, guided by Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 1 (No poverty), SDG 2 (No hunger), and SDG 10 (Reducing inequalities) as well as to supporting achievement of the broader SDG agenda, which is crucial for attaining FAO’s overall vision.
RAF is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with divisions at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with regionwide institutions including the African Union and Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
Digital Agriculture is one of the 20 Priority Programme Areas defined by the FAO Strategic Framework 2022-2031. It plays a critical supportive role for the Regional Initiatives and the Priority Programmes of RAF. The Young Professional Officer will support the implementation of the Digital Innovation Strategy of RAF, including the Pilot Digital Villages Initiative in Africa.
The Young Professional Officer reports to the Regional Programme Leader and works in close collaboration with the Innovation in Digital Agriculture team in FAO’s Office of Innovation (OIN).
Supports the Digital Innovation Strategy ensuring improved use of sustainable, inclusive digital solutions to deliver agriculture and food system transformation in the Africa region. Effective technical support for the implementation of Digital Innovation Strategy of RAF, including the Pilot Digital Villages Initiative (DVI) in Africa.
Research, technical analysis and project related services to support the delivery of assigned projects, products and services.
• Analyses relevant technical social, economic, environmental, and technology information, data and/or statistics for input in various documents;
• Maintains records and updates databases and web pages;
• Provides technical support to various projects;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
• Participates in the organization and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• Provides support for the implementation of the Digital Innovation Strategy, aiming at better-informed country planning through quality data; better informed digital support for food systems transformation; and inclusive digital agriculture ecosystems;
• Provides support for the implementation of the DVI in seven pilot countries (Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Somalia) and beyond;
• Assists in building awareness and capacity amongst RAF, Subregional Offices and Country Offices staff on data/digital agriculture;
• Assists in the development of concept notes, project documents, training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/webinars, etc.;
• Analyses relevant technical data and/or statistics for input in various documents;
• Maintains records, update databases (e.g. the digital knowledge repository and the FAO digital portfolio relevant for the RAF region) and contributes to the update of project webpages;
• Undertakes and supports monitoring and evaluation of implemented projects and activities;
• Supports resource mobilization efforts for the full launch of the DVI project in Africa and for the Digital Innovation Strategy projects and activities;
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural science, agricultural economics, information and communication technologies for development, food science, political economy and related areas.
• One year of relevant experience in digital agriculture and data management.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance of experience in digital agriculture, addressing for example: production and pro-harvest losses, advisory services, market linkages, financial services, data management, use of geospatial technologies, blockchain, artificial intelligence, drone use in agriculture, etc.
• Experience with management of online interactions is considered an asset.
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
Closing Date : 12 November. 2021